Thursday, September 11, 2014

Project #15

WolframAlpha: This search engine was very detailed. I looked up the word "person" and received several different definitions, the pronunciation, even when it was first used! It's also good for calculations. I searched "2x2" and pulled up the answer, plus how that answer would be plotted on a number line and a visual representation.
Source: WolframAlpha

Bing: Bing is very similar to Google. Bing did present a little more information than Google. For example, I searched "Alabama football" with both search engines. Bing seemed to pull up more things from the past, like something you might be using to write a paper on or something of that nature, while Google brought up things that are more relevant to the present, such as the next game they are playing. So in my opinion, bing would be good to use for searching for things the you need to research. It also brought up several things for related searches.
Source: Bing

Dogpile: This engine was pretty simple to use. It was set up very simply, perhaps to be more inviting to people who aren't very computer savvy. One thing that was different about this engine was it had a tab for the white pages, right on the main page. So, it's probably best for quick look ups for phone numbers and addresses and such.
Source: Dogpile

Wikipedia: Wikipedia, in my opinion, is best for looking up definitions. I realize you have to be careful with it due to the fact that it is open for editing, so I usually keep it pretty simple or check my sources. But it is a very good encyclopedia, and it comes in all different languages. It's good if you just need to quickly look up a word and get a short, sweet definition.
Source: Wikipedia

DuckDuckGo: This search engine was very minimal. It only had web, images, videos and products options. I think it is good if you don't want to get overloaded with information. Many search engines throw a lot at you at one time. This one seemed to have much less and in my opinion was less chaotic. It also brought up mostly well known websites.
Source:DuckDuckGo

Ixquick: This was also very minimal. It had web, images, video and phone options. However, the phone option will be coming down soon. This engine is very focused on a "safe, private" way of searching. So I think this would be best used if you are kind of a nervous person about using a search engine.
Source: Ixquick

Exalead: This engine was predominantly about products and services. It was very well set up, a little complicated for people who aren't good with computers yet. Very handy for business use. I even had a somewhat difficult time navigating this search engine, so it would not be good to use for something quick.
Source: Exalead

Gigablast: I hated this search engine. I used it to look up something I was searching for the other day for Geography. It brought up one thing titled what I was actually looking for, the rest were things the term had to do with, some completely irrelevant all together. I searched another term, thinking maybe it was just what I had looked up initially that was the problem. No. This search engine pulls up completely useless information and mostly websites that are not helpful or relevant to what you are searching for.
Source: Gigablast

No comments:

Post a Comment