Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Summary Post C4T Teacher #3

The Fischbowl

Post #1
I posted on the Fischbowl. The author wrote two questions for us to answer: What do your last five tweets/posts/snapchats/instagrams/fill-in-the-blanks say about you? What do you want them to say about you? I wrote that I chose my Instagram then I listed my pictures: the weather for the weekend, my horse, my boyfriend leading in a foal, my boyfriend watching TV and a picture of me. I wrote that I think they say I love the outdoors, horses, my boyfriend and myself. And then I put that that is what I want them to say, because those things are true.
What do your last five tweets say about you?

Here are two of my pictures I was talking about:

My horse Scooby

My boyfriend leading our foal, Nova
Post #2
I posted again, on the Fischbowl. This time the author wrote about homework. To sum it up, his post basically said homework does not do much for students. They did some research and according to the results, homework only brought up test grades a couple of points and made no significant impact on their overall grade. He says teachers give three basic reasons for assigning homework: 1. Students need the practice. 2.I can't cover the curriculum unless I give homework. 3.It teaches responsibility. He then disputes each of these reasons: 1.They've proved the extra practice makes little difference. 2.Change the curriculum instead of force more onto the kids. 3.There are better ways to teach responsibility. I basically agreed with what he said. I said that I remember the days of tons of homework. I wrote that kids are already putting in eight hours a day at school, then they are expected to go home and do two or more hours of extra work. I said this is why kids don't want to get outside anymore, because after all that they just want to stare at a screen so their brain doesn't have to do much of anything.
Data-Driven Schools: Homework

No comments:

Post a Comment